UFC 291 / UFC 291 Fight / UFC 291 Fight Card / UFC 291 Fight Card Result / UFC 291 Fight Card Results 2023
Table of Contents
UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje 2 Results
The highly anticipated UFC 291 event took place on a thrilling night, showcasing some of the world’s most talented fighters, headlined by a rematch between two lightweight titans, Dustin Poirier, and Justin Gaethje. Fans packed the arena, ready to witness an action-packed evening of mixed martial arts at its finest. As the night unfolded, each fight delivered its own unique blend of excitement, strategy, and heart-stopping moments.
Main Event: Justin Gaethje vs. Dustin Poirier
The main event of the evening was an explosive rematch between two of the lightweight division’s fiercest competitors, Justin Gaethje and Dustin Poirier. The first round saw both fighters go toe-to-toe, displaying their exceptional striking skills and ironclad determination. However, it was Gaethje’s relentless pressure and calculated aggression that eventually led to a jaw-dropping finish.
In the second round, Gaethje unleashed a perfectly timed right high kick that landed flush on Poirier’s jaw, sending him crashing to the canvas. The crowd erupted in amazement as the referee quickly waved off the fight, declaring Justin Gaethje the victor by knockout at 1:00 of Round 2. With this stunning win, Gaethje solidified his position as one of the top contenders in the lightweight division and set the stage for potential future matchups against other elite fighters.
Co-Main Event: Alex Pereira vs. Jan Blachowicz
In the co-main event, the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship was on the line as reigning champion Jan Blachowicz faced off against the hard-hitting kickboxing sensation Alex Pereira. The fight was a display of contrasting styles, with Blachowicz relying on his well-rounded MMA skills and Pereira showcasing his lethal striking prowess.
Throughout the three-round battle, both fighters had their moments, but it was Pereira’s striking accuracy and devastating power that caught the judges’ attention. In a closely contested bout, Pereira managed to edge out a split decision victory, with scores of 29-28, 28-29, and 29-28. With this impressive performance, Alex Pereira not only became the new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion but also proved that he could seamlessly transition from kickboxing to MMA and compete at the highest level.
Other Memorable Fights of the Night
The main and co-main events were not the only bouts that left the fans at the edge of their seats. UFC 291 featured an undercard packed with intense matchups, including:
- Derrick Lewis vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima: Derrick Lewis, known for his knockout power, wasted no time in showcasing it once again. He finished the fight in just 33 seconds with a barrage of strikes, earning a TKO victory over Marcos Rogerio de Lima.
- Bobby Green vs. Tony Ferguson: In a thrilling lightweight contest, Bobby Green and Tony Ferguson displayed their grappling skills and resilience. Green managed to secure a technical submission victory via an arm-triangle choke at 4:54 of Round 3, earning himself a well-deserved win.
- Kevin Holland vs. Michael Chiesa: Kevin Holland continued to impress with his submission game, securing a D’arce choke victory over Michael Chiesa in the first round at 2:39.
- Gabriel Bonfim vs. Trevin Giles: Gabriel Bonfim made a statement in his UFC debut, securing a quick submission victory via a guillotine choke at just 1:13 of Round 1 against Trevin Giles.
- CJ Vergara vs. Vinicius Salvador: CJ Vergara and Vinicius Salvador put on a back-and-forth bantamweight battle. In the end, Vergara’s performance earned him a unanimous decision victory with all three judges scoring the fight 29-28 in his favor.
- Roman Kopylov vs. Claudio Ribeiro: Roman Kopylov showcased his striking skills, landing a perfectly timed left high kick to knock out Claudio Ribeiro at 0:33 of Round 2.
- Jake Matthews vs. Darrius Flowers: In a welterweight showdown, Jake Matthews secured a submission victory over Darrius Flowers via rear-naked choke at 2:37 of Round 2.
- Uros Medic vs. Matthew Semelsberger: Uros Medic and Matthew Semelsberger engaged in a back-and-forth battle that lasted until the third round when Medic’s striking barrage forced the referee to intervene and award him the TKO victory at 2:36.
- Miranda Maverick vs. Priscila Cachoeira: In a women’s flyweight bout, Miranda Maverick displayed her grappling prowess, securing an armbar submission victory over Priscila Cachoeira at 2:11 of Round 3.
UFC 291 Fight Card Results: key facts
- UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje 2 – A night of explosive matchups and thrilling finishes.
- Justin Gaethje defeats Dustin Poirier by KO (right high kick) at 1:00 of Round 2.
- Alex Pereira wins UFC Light Heavyweight title, defeating Jan Blachowicz by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
- Derrick Lewis scores a quick TKO victory over Marcos Rogerio de Lima at 0:33 of Round 1.
- Bobby Green submits Tony Ferguson with an arm-triangle choke at 4:54 of Round 3.
- Kevin Holland submits Michael Chiesa with a D’arce choke at 2:39 of Round 1.
- Gabriel Bonfim secures a fast guillotine choke submission against Trevin Giles at 1:13 of Round 1.
- CJ Vergara wins a unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) over Vinicius Salvador.
- Roman Kopylov knocks out Claudio Ribeiro with a left high kick at 0:33 of Round 2.
- Jake Matthews submits Darrius Flowers with a rear-naked choke at 2:37 of Round 2.
- Uros Medic scores a TKO victory over Matthew Semelsberger at 2:36 of Round 3.
- Miranda Maverick submits Priscila Cachoeira with an armbar at 2:11 of Round 3.
UFC 291 was undoubtedly a night to remember, filled with incredible displays of skill, heart, and determination. The main event saw Justin Gaethje’s impressive knockout victory over Dustin Poirier, solidifying his place among the top contenders in the lightweight division. Additionally, Alex Pereira’s transition from kickboxing to MMA culminated in him becoming the new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion after an epic co-main event clash with Jan Blachowicz.
As the dust settled and the fighters celebrated their victories, fans eagerly anticipated the next set of thrilling matchups in the world of mixed martial arts. UFC 291 proved once again that this sport continues to deliver electrifying moments and unforgettable fights that capture the imagination of fans worldwide.